Sunday, October 19, 2008

Live for Today

"I begin by mentioning one of the most inevitable aspects of our lives here upon the earth, and that is change. At one time or another we’ve all heard some form of the familiar adage: “Nothing is as constant as change.”

Throughout our lives, we must deal with change. Some changes are welcome; some are not. There are changes in our lives which are sudden, such as the unexpected passing of a loved one, an unforeseen illness, the loss of a possession we treasure. But most of the changes take place subtly and slowly.

This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."

This is one of my favorite talks from general conference. I find that I am always trying to live for times in the future. Before I had Little it was "when I'm pregnant I will..." then it was "when I'm off bedrest I will..." and I find alot now that it is "when Little is bigger or we have our next baby I will..." This was a very important lesson for me and I relearn it everytime I look at my precious Little and my husband! I want to revel in all the small things in my life so that when I look back I will remember them. I want to remember how Little got his first two teeth the same day, how he throws his head to one side when he wants my attention, how he looks like me when I hold him and like my husband when he is holding him. My favorite memory of him right now is how everytime he sees my laptop he launches himself at it and when we sit him up to it he acts like he is typing as he pounds on the keys. He watches in wonder as the screen changes and knows that he has done it.

I hope to enjoy the journey, I just have to remind myself every once in a while.

No comments: